Bitter Roots || Mark of the Feast || Ginger Citrus Bitters | 60mL
Our "Mark of the Feast" Ginger Citrus Bitters offers a fine balance of the sweet spiciness of ginger & the bright tartness of citrus as a front note, with the earthy underbelly of turmeric, fennel, and traditional bitter roots.
While the medicinal use of bitter roots dates back to the ancient Egyptians, their modern use only became popular in the 1800s. Though they have traditionally been used to support healthy digestion, they became popularized by their use in Prohibition-era cocktails to mask the terrible flavor of sub-par bathtub gin/moonshine/hooch.
The bitter flavor is what signals our bodies to begin the digestion process. But because the bitter flavor is severely lacking in the modern diet, our bodies often aren't prepared to digest efficiently, resulting in backup, discomfort, bloating, and poor nutrient absorption.
Here at the Spirit Haus, we find so many uses for them!
- Heartburn, bloating, gas, indigestion, nausea, and even hiccups*
- Healthy nutrient absorption*
- Healthy liver & gallbladder support*
- Their anti-inflammatory properties*
- As a zesty and aromatic addition to cocktails, mocktails, tea, cider, or seltzer
How to use Bitters
- To support digestion: take 1-2 dropper squeezes directly into your mouth or in a couple of ounces of water before or after meals. (Avoid masking the flavor, since the bitter taste is where many of the benefits lie.)
- To support skin & general health: take 1-2 dropper squeezes 2-3 times per day, either straight onto your tongue or in a beverage.
- As a flavoring, add some to your favorite sparkling water, tea, cider, whiskey, gin, or Old Fashioned.
"My boyfriend thanks you! He is often plagued by acid reflux, indigestion, bloating, and basically he thinks his digestive system is out to get him. He's been using this for about a week now and when he uses it before meals he doesn't get a stomach ache, doesn't suffer from heartburn later, and doesn't feel bloated after eating! Woohoo! He uses it directly on his tongue and holds it there for several seconds before swallowing. I tried it too and while it is a bit bitter (as the name implies), I don't find it unpleasant."
- Brittany in CT
*Please make your own informed decision on the ingredients in this product to determine if it is right for you. This natural product has not been evaluated by the FDA. It is not intended to diagnose, mitigate, treat, or prevent disease, or to affect the structure or function of the body.
Zesty is exactly the description I would give the taste.
A few years ago I was diagnosed with "irritation and inflammation" in my gut. As you would imagine, this is a very frustrating non diagnosis that truly means I am expected to deal with the symptoms... I have had a helluva time finding anything to offer reprieve that will not eventually cause cancer or kidney failure... Until now!
I am not saying I am cured. But I CAN tell you that I am incredibly happy to have found this shop and all of the soothing and beneficial products within.
Thank you so much for your intention, and effort! 🖤