Schisandra Berry Extract || Stress Support || Organically Grown || 2oz 60mL ||
Schisandra chinensis, or Omija (오미자, 五味子) in Korean and wu-wei-zi in Chinese, literally means “five flavor berries” due to their offering of five separate flavors: sourness, sweetness, bitterness, pungentness, and saltiness.
Schisandra is considered an adaptogen herb, meaning it has been worked with and researched to support the body's response to stress. In this day and age, it isn't likely news to you that stress has an impact on every bodily system and every aspect of our daily lives. Ideally, we could remove or avoid this stress, but living under capitalism does not offer everyone an equal opportunity to do so.^
Because of this, Schisandra Berry extract is appreciated by many who struggle with:
- Stress, burnout, & exhaustion
- low energy or fatigue
- menopausal hot flashes
- sluggish or weak liver
- Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and cognitive issues
Adaptogens have shown to lend benefits to endurance, accuracy of movement, mental performance, and working capacity^, however adaptogens are not a green light to continue the patterns that originally lead to the burnout and exhaustion. Lifestyle changes such as setting boundaries, taking rest, and therapy must also be incorporated.
Tonics like Schisandra work over time to support our bodies in regulating their responses.^ They are best taken consistently for several weeks for best results.
Schisandra is probably NOT a good fit for those who:
- have conditions such as gastric ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux (GERD), or hyperchlorhydria (high stomach acid)
- are pregnant, nursing, or children
- take medications such as immunosuppressants, midazolam, warfarin, P-glycoprotein substrates, sirolimus, tacrolimus, talinolol, voriconazole, and CYP2C19, CYP2C9, and CYP3A4 substrates.
For PCOS, PMS, and hormone support that includes Schisandra, check out our Venus Tonic
Or for a blend of tonic and adaptogen herbs including Schisandra to support menopause symptoms, check out our Crone Tonic
Schisandra has been traditionally worked with for thousands of years in Korea, China and Japan to treat various ailments. Schisandra was an adaptogen researched extensively in the 1960’s by the USSR, and hundreds of studies have confirmed Schisandra’s adaptogenic effects, nervous system balancing and neuroprotective effects, hepatoprotective effects, and anticancer potential. In healthy individuals, Schizandra has shown to increase endurance, accuracy of movement, mental performance, and working capacity, while altering the levels of stress hormones in blood and saliva, benefiting blood cells, vessels and the nervous system. This lends benefits to nearly every bodily system, and has shown particularly helpful with burn out, gastritis, liver disease, depression, menopause, Alzheimer’s, and Parkinson’s. As always, adaptogens are not a green light to continue patterns that lead to burn out and exhaustion.^
Menopause trial: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27763802/
Hepatoprotective animal study: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23201450/
Neuroprotective in vitro study: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0014299912004736
Neuroprotective research review: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29136774/
- Take 30-90 drops (one-three dropper squeezes) by mouth 2-3 times per day for 2-4 weeks. (this bottle contains about 60 dropper fulls, so 2 dropper fulls (60 drops) three times per day should last about 10 days)
- You can take it directly into your mouth, in a sip of your favorite drink, or added to your cup of tea or coffee.
- Each person can have a different response and sensitivity to herbs. Some may need the lowest dose for a short duration, some may need a higher dose for a short duration. Others may need a longer duration and higher or lower dose.
- Start with the lowest dose for a few days and see how you feel. Increase the dose if needed.
- Consistency is key with tonic herbs since they do not act as drugs do. Burn-out, exhaustion, and imbalances that require tonics don't happen overnight. They take time to develop. Naturally, the body needs time to restore its balance in return.
It is recommended that you only incorporate one daily tonic into your life at a time, in order to know how it is working for you and adjust as necessary.
Adding several tonics or blends may seem the fastest way to find relief, but if you do experience relief you won't know which blend to attribute it to. You can spend a ton of money continuing unnecessary herbs, or you can stop taking the ones that are potentially helping you. For this reason, it's best to start with one tonic herb or blend of tonic herbs at a time.
Consult with a doctor before use if you are pregnant, nursing, or on medications.
Please check for allergies or sensitivity to ingredients or plants in the same family before use.
^For educational purposes only. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. Not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or mitigate disease, or affect the structure or function of the body.
Spirit Haus Botanicals makes no guarantee that any specific result will be obtained when using these items. The information here is not recommended as a substitute for medical, legal, or financial advice. The majority of the information listed has been sourced from historical folklore, tradition, and legend over which Spirit Haus Botanicals has no control. Spirit Haus Botanicals has used reasonable efforts to verify the accuracy of the information provided, however, no guarantee is made regarding authenticity, appropriateness, completeness, legality, reliability, or effectiveness.